ITU Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Undergraduate Program: Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET,www.abet.org,(Criteria:Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering)
Reletad web pages:
SOs - Student Outcomes
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
PEOs - Program Educational Objectives
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Program expects the graduates within few years of graduation to attain the following:
- Function in member societies, and conduct themselves with high standards of ethics and engineering code of conduct considering public health, safety and welfare
- Be smart and practical in using science and engineering principles for designing engineering solutions considering structure-property-process-performance relationship by effectively engaged in cross-functional teams
- Continue their professional development through life-long learning experiences using appropriate learning strategies
- Be successfully employed and serve their profession locally, nationally and/or internationally in organizations and/or graduate programs
The program education objectives are also shared with public through department strategic plans, informative documents (handouts, brochures) and the department web site ( http://www.mme.itu.edu.tr/en/abet/ ). Our freshman students are informed every year in “101 Introduction to Metallurgy and Materials Engineering and Enginering Ethic” course and this information is given to each student in written form.
E&G - Enrollment and Graduation Data
| Total student enrollments
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Program’s mission statements share with public through its website ( http://www.mme.itu.edu.tr/en/abet/ ). In addition, our freshman students are being informed every year in “MET 101 Introduction to Metallurgy and Materials Engineering and Enginering Ethic” course and this information is given to each student in written form.
The missions of our program (PMs) are to offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering students:
PM-1: who have the ability to conduct research, determine and develop the properties of existing engineering materials and to carry out research and development activities on new engineering materials,
PM-2 who are equipped with the knowledge of new technologies in the production, processing and protection of the engineering materials which will contribute to new product and process design,
PM-3 who will be able to work in the production, application and R&D aspects of pertinent national and international industries and research institutions,
PM-4 who are creative and have a sound understanding of continuous development,
PM-5 who are conscientious of quality and environmental issues and ready to apply and use these concepts in their professional lives,
PM-6 who possess social, ethical and economic responsibilities,
PM-7 who can conduct scientific and applied research at the international level to contribute to the advancement of science and technology.
The department has close relationships with people and institutions that can help it to realize its program educational objectives defined in the mission.
The ITU Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department, acknowledging its departmental culture, based on 40 years of experience, has manifested its very desire to capture the future and develop continuously in its vision.
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department, for the prosperity and well-being of our country, emphasizes
humanistic and societal values,
the concept of continuous development,
the global qualities of science, and
a modern education culture and values
as its base, with the education provided for its students in the undergraduate curriculum, as well as its M.Sc. and Ph.D. students in the area of metallurgical and materials engineering. The Department has always been one of the leading institutions in its field in Turkey and aims to keep its position through continuous progress and improvement with its scientific and applied researches, and act as a science and technology centre both
producing knowledge which will help to shape today’s and the future’s technology on a national and international level, and
spreading this knowledge throughout society via national and international publications.